Thursday 13 December 2012

Christmas wrapping

Hi again! Given the lead up to Christmas I'm going to share my tips for creating (what I think are) beautiful wrappings on a budget....
I'm not really a fan of shiny or glittery wrapping at Christmas time and prefer to go for a 'rustic' approach to make my presents stand out!

Christmas Wrapping
Brown paper is inexpensive and looks striking under the tree when partnered with nice ribbon or even coloured wool if you're on a real budget.
Present tags can be made out of the fronts of old Christmas cards or can be made out of nice card as shown below...

Homemade cards and tags
This year I tried making my own Christmas cards for the first time and found it surprisingly easy! I bought some dark green cards and envelopes from Hobbycraft (£2 for 5 but you can buy them cheaper in bulk or online) and decorated them simply with ribbons and buttons. This is all you'll need:

  • Nice coloured cards (pre-bought or made yourself from card if you don't need envelopes)
  • Coloured wool in a contrasting colour to the card
  • Large-eyed needle (for wool) and thread needle
  • Assorted buttons
  • Ribbons
  • PVA glue
  • Scissors
  • A sharp pencil
It would be more arty and authentic to collect your own buttons (or raid your Mum's/Granny's sewing box) but you can also buy a big bag from Hobbycraft for £3 which will last for ages.

To make the cards I cut a length of ribbon and stuck it about 0.5cm from the edge of the card. I then arranged the buttons in a heart shape and used a pencil to draw around the buttons to mark where they should be. It looks nice to use different coloured buttons for this.
I then took the buttons off the card and put them on the table in the same shape. 
I then took the buttons one by one and used a thread needle to pierce the card under the holes in the buttons to make it easier to fit the large needle through. 
I then used coloured wool to sew the buttons onto the card. 
I then used a bit more if the wool to make a small bow and sewed this above the buttons. 

                           


I was very pleased with the result and decided to branch out a bit and try doing a 'Santa hat' version as well although I'm not sure this was as effective! It might be nice for a younger recipient however. For this one I used a pencil to draw a santa hat shape and then used the thread needle to pierce holes around the pencil line. I was then able to sew around the shape using the large-eyed needle and red/white thread. I used a large white button for the pompom at the end of the hat and sewed some buttons at the top as before.




At this point I ran out of cards but was rather in the swing of things so decided to try some tags too. For this I just cut out some pretty card and sewed on buttons and ribbons as before. I then threaded some ribbon or wool through the tags and tied then around the wrapped parcels to make a great finished Christmas gift!


Time and cost effectiveness
Once I got the hang of getting the wool needle through the card these cards were quite quick to do and took about 20 minutes each. The tags were quicker and took about 10 minutes. The cost depends a lot on what bits and bobs you have already but could be the price of a few ribbons and cards! I calculated the cost of my cards to be about 75p each which I think is well worth the time and it was great fun.  

I hope some of you feel inspired to try this. I think I'm going to do this every year!


Helen x

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute hels!! You've inspired me to get creative haha! xxx

    ReplyDelete